Saturday, May 11, 2019

Spring fever.

Slowly assimilating the things that I brought home from Mom's. It sweetens the heart to find her handwritten notes.
Emmy is a great granddaughter. Grown and with a child of her own, this note was written by my mother in the summer of 1992 at Dauphin Island. 

The middle section of our salad table still has some lettuce that needs harvesting. Soon, and very soon.
It also holds one cherry tomato plant and the side sections each contain two zucchini plants. 
They are blooming already. 

The pot in the foreground holds a roma tomato. The hay bales are all big boy tomato variety with one exception. One of our plants died so we replaced it with a cherokee purple heirloom variety.
The raised bed is growing banana peppers, sweet peppers, about three zucchini, and green onion. 
This morning we planted two white eggplant and four purple eggplant in our front bed. The purple are the long skinny kind ( I've forgotten the name of the variety.)

My zinnia seeds are happy in the back bed. Some of these will probably get transplanted to the sunnier location of my butterfly garden. 

My butterfly garden. The fennel is doing marvelously well. The milkweed is already blooming. The perennial salvia looks healthy. The lantana is making a comeback. Zinnia seeds are sprouting. The mexican sunflowers haven't shown up, yet. May have to replant. 
I am happy to report that, after almost giving up, my moonflowers have germinated. So far, I have four that are growing in the starter pots. I've just got to find the right spot for them. 

I will title this photograph "Almost June" 
You know what I'm talking about!

All this and more are making me very happy with our yard right now. 
Though the front still has bare spots due to tree removal last year, there are runners and hope for coverage some day. Macho has even spread some bermuda seeds in the bare spots this very week.

The green things are good for the soul. 

Shalom.


No comments:

Post a Comment