Friday, May 4, 2018

From the farm.

The week sped by. I fulfilled all my first of the month duties with garden club and seniors at church. I will have a summer break from both of those until September. Ahhh...

The sugar snap peas that I pushed under the dirt have come up...
This photo was taken several days ago. The plants are even bigger now and I can see their tiny little pea vines growing. I hope I can harvest some! I love sugar snap peas. These seeds came from the Dollar Tree. 

On Wednesday our worms arrived.
I ordered 2 lbs of red wigglers from the Willow Dale Worm Farm in Booneville.
Sam the farmer gave me little instruction. So far so good. They are still alive. We really are just winging it. We don't know how much to feed them. I hope they don't starve. What do we feed them?
Apple cores, leaves, newspaper, coffee grounds, mangoes that went bad...get the idea?
Sam said no bananas nor citrus. Too much acid. Don't want to scald their little tummies. 
Why did we do it? For fun. And. Because they produce castings that make great fertilizer. And the liquid byproduct is supposed to be a good fertilizer and bug deterrent for plants. 
I'll let you know how it goes. 

Reporting from the Reeves' Worm Farm...
Shalom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment