Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Calm before the storm.

Storms are due in tomorrow. 
Again.
It was a long, busy day today. 
Macho had worked in the front bed in our yard. He has it looking very good.

I drank a little toddy to calm my busy mind.
Then I took a stroll around the back yard.
I clipped a few hydrangea branches that were dead. Before coming inside
I found a dead bird on my patio. I donned my garden gloves, grabbed my trowel, and set out to bury her. The evening is quiet. Our Lady of Perpetual Vegetables was reigning near the oak tree. 
I stopped to say my prayer...
She came from Mom's house. 
Mom promised to buy a statue when Dad joined the church. This statue was at our old place at 890. Second street. After the storm she moved. With Mom and Dad. She stood sentinel by the pecan tree. Until last month.
Then she came home with me.
Now. She presides over our vegetable garden.
And so. In the quiet of this evening I stopped. 
"...The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."
- Robert Frost
It was so quiet. Mom was so near. I shed a few tears. 
After the funeral I did go to Mom's house.
Yet. Somehow my upcoming trip has me a little apprehensive about returning.
I think I want her to still be there.
In her house. 
My head knows she isn't. But my heart wishes she was. 
I still see her as "there". 
And.
It will hurt to not have it be.

Shalom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment