Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Carnival ride emotions.

The roller coaster of emotions has taken off. Me? I am in the front seat. It has been 10 years since the storm. Like many in these parts, I really don't like to even say her name. She destroyed my parents' home, my uncle's home, the homes of my two sisters. She wiped many of my childhood landmarks from the earth. She relocated populations. My elementary school eventually closed. My high school was bulldozed. For years I did not recognize the landscape of my own hometown. 

Mom and Dad came to live with us for about 6 months after the storm. Oh, how I wish I could go back and do that 6 months again. I want a re-do. I will do it better the second time. I promise! Hind sight is so very clear.  I wanted so badly to not be defined by this storm. I wanted so badly for this to not be what I talked about all the time. I wanted so badly to not keep harping on what we lost. And yet. We did talk the wind out of her. I believe that Katrina not only demolished family homes, I think she started to erode family ties. 

And now this. This week we have a contract on a piece of property that was across the street from where I grew up. My grandmother and uncle lived there. Her father purchased the property. Camille took care of the house he built. Katrina claimed the next one. This property has belonged to my family for - oh, I don't know - over 100 years? And. I don't think I gave full attention to the emotions that would surface. 

It is especially poignant this week. While we still mourn what was lost 10 years ago. It feels like she is still taking away. It still feels like we are losing something to her. It feels like her fault. 
It feels like a bond is loosening. It is such a process, this letting go. Who knew? 

***

On a lighter note I will leave you with this parting shot. 


We enjoyed our date on Saturday night. 
It was a fun evening among sweet friends. We enjoyed dinner and a show! 
There was even dancing! 

Be sweet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment