Thursday, August 20, 2015

Catching you up.

A week and a half ago a branch of Mr. Macho's family had a small reunion. (His maternal grandmother's clan.)
Here he is with his cousin, Phil. Phil visited us years and years ago, when our children were very young. He was passing through town on his way to a job assignment. Our children called him 'Uncle Phil'. And still do. But. He is really a cousin.  Mr. Macho enjoyed reconnecting with Phil, other cousins, and especially his Aunt Thelma. 

After the reunion we scooted over to Daughter's house for a "Back to School" cookout and ice cream party with the grandchildren. Entertainment was provided by The Super Carrot Ballerina Company!

Anniversary #38 was quietly celebrated at home. Mr. Macho grilled some steaks, bubbly was consumed, and the movie de jour was "When Harry Met Sally". After this many years celebrations are becoming mellow. 
***
The very next day I travelled to the coast. For a family visit. 
The day after that Mr. Macho left for a week of school. 


I stayed with son, Beach Boy, and his family. It was fun waking up with these two. Sweet Pea slept with me every night. Except for the kicking in the middle of the night she was a great sleep partner. The kicking didn't last long. 

 Millie knows how to cheese it for the camera!

Lap full of girls! 

Beach Boy is dealing with his seasonal alergies. Besides the fact that it is the beginning of football season and that brings it's own level of exhaustion. He and his yellow friend caught a quick nap at Mimi's house. 


Peyton doesn't care for her photo to be taken too often. This was how she felt about me taking her picture. Oh well. Silly photo faces run in the family. 
***
I was delighted to spend the day with Mom on Tuesday. I see small changes since the last time I was down. I don't know how but her hearing (or lack thereof) seems even more diminished. Her participation in conversation is waining, especially with more than one person. Her physical fitness is also waining. She will be 95 next month and her body reflects her age. 
She is the energizer bunny. With a cane. 
Her love is alive. 

*****
Mr. Macho is due home tomorrow. Today I have a lunch date with my girlfriends and my night time bunko group will reconvene. I am actually one of the hostesses tonight. It will be a "Back to School" themed night. 

All of my activity groups will be starting up over the next few weeks. I am ready to get back onto the social swing of things. This summer has felt rather blasé - with no real vacation and struggling through Les Miserables - I need a little Christmas, or some happy distraction. 

*****

I have to tell you this funny story. Beach Boy faced times his sister while I was visiting. Merritt saw me and immediately asked, "Nanny, where are you?!" I told her I was at Uncle Beach Boy's house. She put her hands on her hips and, in a more than miffed voice, asked, "How shouldn't you didn't take me?!!!!" (Translation: How dare you not take me!) I am getting many miles in the retelling of this line. It still makes me laugh. Love that girl.

I am hearing the siren song of dirty towels. Must answer the call.

Be sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment