Saturday, April 9, 2016

Weekend and birthdays.

I was on the fast jet this week. Bizziness made the time fly. Mostly sunny cool days have lifted our spirits, at the same time we are sneezing and itching. Sporadic allergy meds help.

I served as docent one last time in our spring pilgrimage of antebellum homes on Tuesday. Mr. Macho and I are finally enjoying some of the homes and activities that have gone on for years and years. Wednesday night we braved a thunderstorm and attended the Tales of the Crypt in our local cemetery. Students from our state charter school perform roles selected from the inhabitants of the cemetery. It is so worth attending. Thursday night we took a candle light tour of two homes. Both were interesting. One home was very well presented and tastefully decorated with period furniture. The second home had good bones, but was cluttered with the home owners collections. It was too fussy. Felt more like a poorly done museum.

Docents who work Pilgrimage are given free passes to tour the homes. I had mine and yesterday, having no scheduled plans, I decided I wanted to see one particular house. I texted my sister to see if she had any plans. She did. She is the busiest person I know. I have tried to take her for a birthday lunch 3 or 4 times and she has had to cancel or has been too busy. And. Once again. She was bizzy! So I decided to fly solo. I thought the house was incredibly pretty. I got to climb three flights of stairs all the way to the cupola that provided a wonderful panorama of the landscape that included the field of cows and a lake not too far away. It was a crystal clear day. Good for me! I can do things by myself. It is all good.

Yesterday was sister, Mimi's, birthday. We facetimed and I sang "Happy Birthday" to her real loud. She got to go on a fun trip earlier in the week, to Mexico. Her daughter and son-in-law were going to cook her a birthday dinner. Our brothers' took her out to dinner the night before her birthday.

Today is father-in-law's 87th birthday. Last night at supper he commented, once again, that he never thought he would make it this far. He is not in good shape. He is not walking anymore. He travels in a wheel chair. His feet hurt too much to stand on them. A surgeon removed scabs and tissue from his feet this week. We thought the surgeon was going to arrange to place stents to improve blood flow. Sister-in-law is making valiant efforts to find the right course of action, but every medical office feels like it is going in a new and different direction. It is hard and confusing, at best. There are no guide books for this and she is having to develop firm resolve to help her dad in the best possible way she can. This week she will celebrate her birthday. Away from home, caring for her dad.

This morning I am driving to the Piggly Wiggly (half way point) to pick up Lauren. We are having a spend-the-night. I promised her we would make a pie. I have all the ingredients. Not sure what else we will do. We might take a carriage ride in town. Or. We might go to the giant yard sale at the fairgrounds. I'll have to ask her what she feels like doing. We might just go to Hoblob and shop around. We will make supper to take over and share with Mr. Macho and the birthday boy.

Our neighborhood continues the clean up efforts. Roofs with slight damage have been worked on this week. The is still storm debris in yards and streets that needs removing. Blue tarps decorated the landscape.

This week I have enjoyed reaching out to friends. Small acts of love. I hope you have had good moments this week, too.
Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment