Sunday, April 24, 2016

Oh snap.

It was my fault. I must start by saying that. 
Tuesday morning, without giving it much thought, I clicked the button to upgrade to the new Apple operating system, El Capitan. I got busy with my day as the upgrade was in progress.
Fast forward to late afternoon when I needed to google some labels for my father-in-law's clothes (more about him later) and my computer had gone south. I could only get a grey screen with the apple icon flashing with some other icons...and I was in a panic. 
Located the Apple support number. Technician read his script and walked me through trying to boot the computer only to find the grey/apple flashing screen every time. Blah, blah, blah, and he said, "Yes, erase." Me: "Are you sure I should 'erase'?" Him: "Yes. Erase." And so I erased. He next had me reinstall the Snow Leopard operating system. While it was doing that I realized and asked, "Have I just erased everything off my computer?!" Him: "Yes." 

Oh snap. 
No documents. 
No email address.
All my photos have gone to sheol. 
(Insert a Charlie Brown-esque holler right here.)

I am still hoping that I can take this computer to someone that can find my photos out "there". Somewhere.
And no. 
I did not do the Cloud.
And no.
I did not back up my computer.
Lesson learned.
The hard way. 

**********

Father-in-law went to Jackson with his two daughters over a week ago. The purpose was to see about getting stents in his legs to improve blood flow, to help relieve foot pain. 
After being admitted to hospital it was found that kidneys were about to fail. And so. He stayed in hospital over weekend to improve kidneys so that the doctor could do a dye test. Kidneys improved. Monday the doctor did the dye test and determined that there were no viable veins to work with in the  right leg. Thus. The stent was a no go. That doctor called in a surgeon to debride the wounds on the right foot.  Surgeon wanted MRI to rule out bone infection (osteomyelitis). MRI on Tuesday. He did have infection in little toe. Right foot.  Wednesday toe removal and debridement. Mr. Macho and I drove down to see him for ourselves and to be with him. He did well that afternoon. Thank you to the good meds he had little pain that day. We had prepared to stay the night but after realizing that we were not needed and could offer no real help at the time, we drove home. 
Thursday brought pain and more meds. Friday he was transfered by daughters to a swing bed facility in our home town. He is somewhat confused. His best chance of healing is to stay put. He will be well taken care of. We will visit him very frequently. 

***
Trying to find some zen. Gonna go watch some movies with my girls this afternoon.
Namaste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment