Friday, May 27, 2016

Save the date.

Yesterday I had a FaceTime visit with my Mom. She is 95 1/2 years old.

Mom said to me that she had Dad's wallet on her dresser. She had gone through it yesterday to clean it out. More than three years since his death she finally decides to clean out his wallet.
In the wallet she found $3, which she promptly hid in a drawer. Dad would be so proud of her. Saving that $3.

Before Dad had shipped out for Okinawa during WWII, Mom had handed him a pocket calendar. On the calendar she had written a dear little message. Something like, "No matter the date, I will always love you!" Dad carried the calendar with him all during the war. And for years after. Mom knew he carried it. It had faded with water damage during a storm on Okinawa. Mom called it a tsunami. I had never heard this story. I knew nothing of the love note carried for decades.

The calendar was still in Dad's wallet yesterday. Mom was pleased and just the little bit teary to find it after all these years. I said to her, "That's my Dad!" Sentimental and sweet. To the end of time.

Forever love. It is real.

1 comment: