Saturday, September 6, 2014

The week in review.

Here are a few shots from last weekend...

Sweet Pea and her Nanny last Saturday. She and her parents had driven up for the festivities surrounding her little sister's birthday. 

Sunday. T-bone and his sister, Super Carrot, cheesing for the camera. 
***
The week has brought mixed reviews. I am still taking my meds at bedtime. That produces a period of fairly normal movement sandwiched between morning and afternoon/evening pain. I am thankful for the middle of the sandwich that allows me to get to the gym and do light exercise, get to meetings, do some housework, get the grocery shopping done. All of which felt impossible two months ago. Next shot on Tuesday. The shots have helped. But not in the miraculous way I had hoped.
*****
Our compost heap produced a mystery plant this summer. I sent photos of the plant far and wide and my most reliable consultant (Cajun brother-in-law) seemed to lean in the direction of the squash family. The plant prolifically produced blossoms. That fell off without producing any fruit. For weeks. On Wednesday of this week I went out to add some green bean refuse to the compost when what to my wandering eyes should appear....

...this green thing. 
I quickly snapped and texted the photo to my expert consultant. He proclaimed "Pumpkin!" 
Mr. Macho harshed my 'farmer buzz' and said it would not reach maturity. Boo. There went my Thanksgiving plans for pumpkin pies. The plant did seem to be dying in the late summer drought. Friday I checked and guess what! It is a small variety and is turning orange! Last year I bought several different varieties of pumpkins - large and small. They all landed in the compost. 
I do have a little green on my brown thumb. Just throw it in the compost and leave it alone. That is my gardening strategy. 

Friday I spied this dangerous creature hanging out on my feeder. I will warn you not to google this - but preying mantis kill hummingbirds. They do. 
So I got my little whisk broom and shooed him away. He was persistent and I had to swipe at him three times before he took flight. 
Eeww. Gross. 
*******
Sitting on the screen porch this morning was peaceful. Until the neighbor started hammering and then turned on some power tool. 

Mr. Macho has had to work today. Saturday. I have plans to make it to the gym. For supper tonight I am borrowing Mimi's idea and making unstuffed cabbage. It looks easy. And good. 
I like new stuff. New food. New places. New friends. 
My bible study and garden club resumed this week after a summer break. I have agreed to a new daytime bunko group. 
New things. New challenges. New ideas. New stories. 
New adventures. They may seem small and inconsequential to you. They feel like mountains to me right now. They feel like progress. And healing. 
Today I wish you happy adventures. 
Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment