Monday, January 26, 2015

Elvis has left the building.

Friday. Paulette's husband experience a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. While they were in the ER. The doctor told Paulette that it was critical and when she asked if she should call their children, the doctor said yes.

I had just stepped out the shower when Mimi called to ask if I had gotten Paulette's text message. I hadn't. She told me what was going on. I threw on my clothes, dried my hair, and got to the hospital. 
He was in surgery for about 6 hours. The grapevine is alive and well in our little town and in short order family and friends were filling up the ICU waiting room. Paulette was ever the gracious hostess, introducing each person to all present as they arrived. It kept her distracted and occupied. It helped pass a grueling afternoon. All three of her children made it to the hospital while their dad was in surgery.

The doctor came in at about 8:30 to tell us that the surgery was over. And successful. However, he delivered the news in somber tones. He was very technical in his explanations. I left after that hoping that others would do the same and give the family some quiet. 

The hospital had given Paulette a complimentary room for the night and she and Natalie (dtr) stayed and got a small amount of sleep. Paulette and all her children were able to go in to see Jimmy every few hours. He was even awake and responsive enough to see them all and squeeze hands and mouth endearments to them. 

Saturday. Marsha drove up from the coast and made it to the hospital before I did. We kept vigil in the waiting room. The day seemed to go quickly. I thought this might go on for days and so left mid-afternoon. Marsha followed suit a few hours later. But while she was on her way to my house I got the call that things had turned for the worse. BP was dropping and the family was called back. When Marsha arrived at my house I jumped in her car and we sped back to the hospital. 

We went straight back to ICU to be with the family. The nursing staff and doctors were trying one more thing to keep Jimmy alive. Kidney dialysis. It failed. Then we knew he wasn't gone to make it. And somewhere around 8:30 he slipped away. 

I can not explain how many people's lives Jimmy touched. I can't tell you how many good friends he has kept for years and years. He was a force in this small town. He was legend. He will be missed by multitudes. 

Rest in peace, my brother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment