Friday, January 23, 2015

Mama Mia - Part 3

-Continued-
Still Saturday.

After eating the marvelous "snacks" in the lounge we all headed up to our rooms to get ready for the main event. Performance at 2:00.
I loved being within walking distance of everything we did all weekend. After meeting in the lobby, a quick stroll down Canal Street took us to the theatre. On the way we passed some interesting characters. Some were a little scary so we just kept our chins pointed in the right direction and marched on!

Here I am outside the Saenger about to see Mama Mia!
The performance was so very fun. The actors' voices were wonderful, all so talented. Each actor seemed enthusiastic in his/her role. During intermission the bathroom line was ridiculous and so I just went back to my seat. So many women, so few toilets. 
We all stood and sang along at the grand finale' of the play! Total fun. 
We left the Saenger and retraced our steps down Canal. There were several hours before our dinner reservation and so we stopped off at the Ritz Carlton and found a good spot in their lounge.

We all ordered cocktails and more laughs and fun was had. Our very nice waiter, from Natchez, took great care of us. He brought us baskets of homemade potato chips. And then! He brought out plates of bite sized beignets - with three sauces. Chocolate, vanilla, and caramel. My favorite was the vanilla. Over the top!

La-te-da! Sisters enjoying happy hour at the Ritz Carlton. Kaye, Mimi, and Paulette.

Kaye, Lynn, and I leaving the Ritz. 

Lynn, Machelle, and Amanda enjoying the evening. This night we dined at the Palace Cafe. We even spotted Robin Roberts at a nearby table.  Food was good, service was okay - but slow. And. I have to tell you that paying out was an ordeal. The waiter took care of our checks one at a time. 

I enjoyed my dinner of andouille crusted gulf fillet with lump crab meat.  So much crab meat. 
I ordered the white chocolate bread pudding for dessert. It was pretty good. 
After dinner it was back to the hotel where some went up to bed and some stayed in the lobby to visit a cousin's daughter, Dominique, who dropped by. 
Mimi, Amanda, Lynn, and I checked out the roof before Lynn and I headed down to visit with Dominique and the lobby sisters. We didn't stay long but while we were still there Paulette and Dominique espied a young woman getting on an elevator with no pants! What?! You just never know what you're going to see in New Orleans. So. Be prepared. 

Sunday. 
We all met in the lobby to walk to Mass together. Machelle wasn't feeling well (catching a cold) and opted to sleep in.
The St. Louis Cathedral did not disappoint. The priest even encouraged everyone to try some of the good beverages that could be found on every street corner in the Quarter. 
We got a quick glimpse of more little cousins and nieces on our way out of church. Then on to the jazz brunch at Broussard's.

Lobby of Broussards. Oh, and that's me. 

Amanda and Paulette enjoying the musicians. They invited us to sing along. Oh we did!! I recommend doing a jazz brunch if you go to the City. And I highly recommend Broussard's. 

My breakfast = shrimp and grits. I had consumed plenty of alcohol over the weekend so I opted for a Virgin Mary. It was delicious. 

All too soon our weekend was winding down. Back to the hotel to gather our suitcases.

We were waiting in the lobby for the limo when the driver called to say the traffic was backed up. Could we possibly get to Canal and Royal on our own? Yes we could. Thank goodness for rolling suitcases! We trekked the 3 blocks up Royal to Canal...and in just a minute the limo was there.

We loaded up and headed back to Mississippi. 

A totally awesome weekend. I'm sending a shout out to the sisters that arranged for all the fun. 

"...I ask in all honesty - what would life be - without a song or a dance what are we? So, I say thank you for the music - for giving it to me!"
-ABBA

No comments:

Post a Comment