Monday, April 20, 2015

Springing forward.

Honestly. The weekend was a big mixed bag of emotions for me. It was so great having the two coast sisters here. And yet, I felt like I was trying to catch up with what they were doing all weekend. We had some good laughs, too much food, and general good adventures. 

The rain didn't dampen our spirits as we made our way to Old 82 - the new seafood restaurant in town. The Back Door/Front Door Restaurant used to be located in the building. Nephew James (as he wants to be called now) was our waiter and he was excellent. We met a lovely new, young doctor in town sitting right next to us enjoying the poboy. We all indulged in various oyster offerings. 

Friday dawned rainy, also. Again we refused to let it do any damage to our plans. We lunched with these two sweet nieces at the Stromboli's Restaurant in Starkville. Calzones and pizzas were the fare. It gets a thumbs up! Afterwards we drove to the MSU campus where we enjoyed the loveliest brief ceremony honoring 20 students receiving the Spirit of MSU award. Our niece, Margaret, was a recipient. We were all so proud of her! During the past four school years she has contributed greatly to her school. Well done, Margaret!

Margaret in the middle, and four of her fairy godmothers - Marsha, Paulette, Mimi, and me!

Seated and waiting for the ceremony. 

Back to Paulette's where we unwound with grapefruit martinis! They were so yummy. 
Was asked Mr. Macho to be our DD to take us to Tales of the Crypt, a local attraction during our Spring Pilgrimage. Some students from our state Math and Science School, here in town, choose and study a particular person buried in our Friendship Cemetery.  During the Tales of the Crypt each student brings that person to life in a performance - in the cemetery. It is done at night, which makes it more dramatic. Most characters portrayed are from the Civil War era. A few are more recent. This year's performance was exceptional. Tales of the Crypt has been a part of our Spring Pilgrimage for 25 years. 

Saturday dawned and I made my way back to Paulette's to join the sisters for a tour of two antebellum homes. 

Here we are pictured on the very balcony where Jefferson Davis gave a speech in his night shirt. 
After we toured two houses the owner of this home (who happens to live across the street from P*) invited us to lunch. It was a happy gathering of new friends eating burgers standing up. The hosts were worn out, I am sure, after two weeks of visitors touring their home. We didn't linger.

Back at P*s we almost lost our drive. But. P* roused us and suggested we hop back in the car, drive back to Starkville, and enjoy the Cotton District Art Festival. And. That is just what we did. We each made a purchase from one of my most favorite local vendors from Eupora, The Crooked Handle Spoon man. 

Saturday night we dined at a new to me restaurant, Thai by Thai. We each had something different and tasted each other's food. I had ordered Thai chicken panang (I think). It was so good. 

Sunday was spent visiting at Paulette's house. We all ate a buffet dinner in the cafeteria at our local university. Mr. Macho joined us. Back at Paulette's we sat on the front porch and appreciated sunshine and enjoyed a visit by her son and his family. Mr. Macho couldn't keep his eyes open. I wasn't happy about it, but we drove home early in the evening. The other three sisters went on having fun without me. 

Today we all head back to reality. I have washed clothes and worked in the yard. Am about to do a little sewing. Tonight = dance lessons. 

While I was in the yard I spotted a frog. Sure sign of spring. Frogs are my friends. I hope he eats lots of bugs. I also spotted a cocoon in my oak tree. Will leave it hanging and check it frequently. I have a new lily that needs planting. Just not sure where to put it. 

*****
Sunshine today. Cooler temps tonight. More adventures tomorrow.
Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment