Monday, February 22, 2016

Phone calls and heart attacks.

Just let me tell you that last week had some unusual vibes going on. I left town Wednesday traveling on a Mission trip to help Beach Boy post shoulder surgery. Had a nice visit with Cecelia and her mom on the way down.

When I arrive I found Beach Boy doing very well, considering he had some very serious surgery just the day before. Shortly after arriving I had an emergency phone call from a friend telling me that my sister had fainted. This sister lives in the same town that I do, which was 4 hours away at the moment. Friend assured me that sister's son had been called and she had ridden the 1/2 block in an ambulance to the ER. Long story short, sister gave blood that morning. E'rybody in the family knows that Sister Paulette faints on cue any time blood is involved. That explained that. After a thorough check up in the ER she went home to recuperate from her fainting spell.

Beach Boy did not sleep well the night of his surgery, nor the next night. So. Thursday. He wanted to go with me when I went to visit my mom. Her three sisters were coming over and I was going to get to see them! And I did. It was so good, even if it was brief. My sister, Marsha, came over also. Beach Boy sat in a recliner and dozed. When he awoke he wanted to move on to lunch (he wasn't feeling good). So kisses goodbye and off we went - with Marsha following us for more visit time. We arrived at restaurant, ordered food. Food got delivered and Beach Boy announced he wasn't feeling so good. He looked a pale green. I sent him to the car and had our waiter put our food in "to go" boxes. Marsha had arrived and agreed to follow us back to Beach Boy's house. Once there he took his pain meds and some anti-nausea med and went to sleep. Marsha and I had a good visit. Albeit short. He slept better Thursday night than he had the two previous nights and woke rested and feeling better on Friday.

Friday. First physical therapy (PT). After the initial removal of the sling and breaking out into a 5 mile run type sweat and feeling terribly nauseated, he actually did fine. Got through the PT, and we left. Then the day took the first wonky turn. A neighbor called me on my cell phone because two strange men had pounded on her door. at 9:00 that morning. Claimed they were attorneys looking for her sister. She was frightened. I couldn't help 'cause I was outtatown. (There is more to this story, but I can't get into all the legalities here.) Anyway, I texted her a mutual neighbor's phone number.

Next stop, Sam's, where to our surprise we found a lady sitting, then laying on the floor having tachycardia with three small children in her grocery cart. Beach Boy called 911. Two people walked up and asked if they could lay hands on her and pray for her, a nurse just happened by, as did a paramedic. Eventually store employees wandered up. After, at least, a 10 minute 911 call  first responders showed up. The nurse used the woman's phone to reach a family member who was there in short order to care for the children. When we left the store the woman was in the back of the ambulance ready to be transported.

Got home. Unloaded car. Sat down to eat lunch and Sister Mimi called - Aunt Bobbye was having a heart attack. Ambulance was taking her to ER. Oi vey! Whataday! I scarfed down some lunch, put dishes in dish washer, assured that Beach Boy was okay by himself for a while and went to meet my sisters and mom in the ER to check on my aunt. She was finally admitted to a room that evening after I left and sisters, Mimi and Marsha, tagged teamed and stayed with her that evening and all day Saturday. Finally her son arrived late Saturday and took over. Whew. He was three hours away and reluctant to come.

Saturday. We took Sweet P to gymnastics and then met her mom and sister at the library. It is a very fine library. I bought myself three used books for 50 cents apiece in the Friends' of the Library Book Sale room. Very cool.

Mom and I and her caregiver attended mass together Saturday evening. After that I dropped Aunt Bobbye's glasses off to her at the hospital and went back to Beach Boy's house.

Sunday I drove home.

Monday, today, I woke up and missed little people in the house. Visiting my children and grandchildren makes me think about moving to a town where I have family. I want to have children and grandchildren around as I grow older.

I had plans to get to town this morning. But. That hasn't happened. I guess the taxes can wait one more day to get to the accountant. I balanced my check book. Got a sweaty workout in at the YMCA. I have accomplished making appointments this morning. I am going to have my windshield replaced next week. I am going to get my car A/C fixed, too. Checking things off my list.

Adventures. Always adventures. Makes the world go round.

No comments:

Post a Comment