Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Quick post on random doings.

It has started a chilly spring day. Welcome sunshine will warm it up a bit. Am I speaking with a British accent? Yes. My girlfriends and I are gathering to view the last episode of Downton Abbey this afternoon. We are all dressing in Downton fashion and have agreed to speak with our best British accents. We will dine beforehand on, what we think, is typical Downton fare. I am con-tributing (said with my best Mr. Carson accent) cucumber stacks and deviled eggs. I am assured, on the internet, that deviled eggs were a staple in Mrs. Patmore's kitchen. I'm sure we will take snaps and I'll try to post some another day.

Father-in-law is having a rough go. Those of you I know are up to snuff on the situation. Suffice it to say that he is suffering and his children are making valiant efforts to see that he is well cared for. It is hard.

I have just finished polishing a wooden box that belonged to my mother. One of her grandfathers was a cabinet maker. He made the box for her when she was a child. I think it is cedar. I will have to ask. I have had it for years and, am sorry to admit, I kept it in my attic. It is dry from years of heat exposure. So, very often, I try to put furniture oil polish on it. Belatedly I am making the effort to keep in in tact. I need for it to hold together.  Long enough to be my mother's last resting place. Today I dubbed myself, "Keeper of the Casket". While I polish it I wonder - should I include some things inside the box when we bury her. A photo of her and dad when they were young? Her rosary? At some point  I'll ask my sibs if they would like to contribute an item. I have mentioned my plan to use the box to Mom. She liked the idea.

I must be off to clean up for my party. The cream cheese has been piped onto the cucumbers. The devil has been piped into the eggs. They will be delivered on silver trays.

Y'all have some fun today.
Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment