Sunday, October 30, 2016

Hello Pilgrim!

So the weekend started during my exercise at the YMCA with this view Friday morning...

The bird on the left was deceased. Probably a kamikaze scenario. You can see there is a circle of moisture surroundingtwo birds. The bird on the right flew in and landed slightly out side the circle. Slowly, and with much song, he made his way toward the dead bird until he was just this close. It took him 30 minutes to eulogize his fellow flyer. He sat shiva for the full 30 minutes. I wondered what was their relationship. Then he was gone. 

On Saturday Mr. Macho and I went on a Pilgrimage. We drove through foothills with winding roads. The ride was therapeutic and the fall colors were only slightly held at bay by the recent drought. I found myself relaxing and absorbing the autumn dress on the trees. I commented to Macho that, at a certain stretch of the road as we drew closer to our destination, I kept smelling something like bread baking. He didn't smell it.  We drove to no-wheresville (Hanceville, AL). And after all the winding rural roads our ride ended at the Shrine of The Most Blessed Sacrament. You have to see it to believe that it landed in the Middle of Nowhere, Alabama. We arrived just in time for Mass. Old school. In the lower chapel. After which we toured the main sanctuary, where I followed a pilgrimage protocol for our Year of Mercy. Check. Pilgrimage complete. 
In the gift shop I purchased the new Bible that I have been needing. 
I lit candles at the underground creche grotto for our parents. 

After a very decent Italian lunch at Carlton's, we drove to the Ava Maria Grotto. It is cheesy, but worth stopping for a look around. The above photo was taken at the Grotto. A monk built miniatures of many landmarks and shrines back in the early to mid 1900s. Price of admission $5. 

This snap was taken at the replica of the Basilica in Fatima, Portugal. Look close. It says, "Oct.-Dec. 1956". December 1956?! What a great month and year! So I had to 'capture' that for myownself. 

We drove a different route on the way home and landed at Daughter's house for a quick visit and some fried chicken! All her kiddos seem to be doing great. 

***
This morning I awoke feeling all "Pilgrim-esque". I hope this shiny feeling lasts. 

Also this morning we learned that one of our parishioners died during the night. I think I have blogged about him before. He was a heart transplant recipient over 19 years ago. He far outlived expectations. And he was a faithful communicant of our church, going to daily mass, frequently, and Sunday mass until just a few weeks ago. 

May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment