Friday, April 21, 2017

Earth.

Tomorrow commemorates Earth Day. Seems like Facebook has made a special day of every day. If it isn't sibling day - it is Linda Day! or Susan Day! Or somebody's day.
But. Earth Day. 
The first Earth Day I remember started out well enough for me. I was a junior in high school. Long story short, a bunch of high school juniors and seniors ended up being driven "downtown" in the back of police cars, parents being called, walk of shame out the doors of the station. High school party gone wrong. Yet. I am ever thankful that there was intervention at that precise moment. Deeper trouble would have descended had the police waited a few hours. Not until years later, many years later, did I realize that the boy I was dating had begun the chain of unfortunate events of the night. He later ran for, and was elected sheriff of my old home county. He was basically a good guy. But. He ratted on his friends. And. His girlfriend. As we would have said back then - bummer. 
And. Life went on. Today I will go volunteer some hours at our Catholic elementary school in their new garden. Weeding, digging, planting. Thanking God for our good earth. And celebrating.
Earth Day! 

The week started off with celebration of Christ's resurrection. Easter Sunday dinner was delicious. Mr. Macho slept most of the day away, attempting to get over a nasty cough. He had been up for two nights hacking until I thought he would expire. It is still hanging on, but is much better and his sleep has improved 1000%.



I am enjoying the dianthus in my yard. I hope to start a butterfly garden out my kitchen window. 

Whilst planting the tomatoes in our new raised bed this week I discovered this creature on my patio. She skittered to the door jamb so that I couldn't get in for fear of her leaping on me. I had to find my hidden key and let myself in the front door. Then I took a bunch of photos of her right out the laundry door, banged on the door repeatedly, and still she didn't budge. Only when I left her alone did she find her way down and away. I have since learned that she is a broad head skink. She is big around. She eats bugs and spiders. I will leave her to her appointed task. Daughter has dubbed her "Herpes". So now, Herpes lives on my patio. It is a symbiotic relationship. I let her live. She eats my bugs. Win-win!



Thursday morning post walk photo of the Easter bunny that breakfasts in my yard. I love her. She is always welcome. 

***
The week has had ups and downs. I am ending on a good note with heartfelt appreciation for accidental, monumental connections. I won't go into detail, but sometimes a simple phone call will turn into a blood transfusion moment. Life is exchanged. Love is exchanged. Hard becomes soft in the sharing. Forgiveness flows in all directions. 

****
Smelling the red beans cooking on my stove. This pot full has promise.
Happy weekend, evahbody!
Namaste.


No comments:

Post a Comment