Sunday, August 12, 2012

A rare Sunday post.

We are getting the fall tease this weekend. Temps have been moderate and humidity is low. It could almost throw me into a football tailspin. If I let it. Love Friday nights. Love the games. Love the band. Love the National Anthem played in the stands with fans standing. Hand over heart. The smell of hamburgers and hot dogs being cooked in concession stand. Standing up the entire 4th quarter because the team is doing good and you are afraid you will jinx it if you sit down. Touchdowns. Steam rising off players as parents and girlfriends flood the field after a win. College game day on ESPN. Lee Corso's predictions. Crazy love. I love old peewee football stories. Sons coached by husband. Oh my. The old equipment they used to wear. It smelled like decades of sweat. Gross. And funny.

Some years I wish I were going to college again when fall rolls around. I wish I was the one lugging suitcases and boxes up flights of stairs into the tiny dorm room. College years were not terrific for me. Except for the fact that I met Mr. Macho in college I would almost call for a "do over". The scene: my hand would be on that time machine button to go back to 1974. I would look over my shoulder and see Mr. Mahco and I would take my hand down. I couldn't risk not meeting him. Cue the sappy love song music. Close the curtain.

Again I am going to try my hand at some mini courses at the college here in town. They are six week courses. This fall I have signed up for beginning Spanish. (Yes, again.) There is a different teacher. This is a conversational class. I have also signed up for drawing and tai chi. I know. Interesting, right? I hope so.

Mr. Macho had some skin cancer sliced from his cheek on Friday. He has been taking it easy this weekend. No sweating. We are going to take the bandages off later today. Friday we visited several antique stores in town. I satisfied the itch that I wanted to buy old furniture for some of our new space. I don't. We didn't. Old furniture is too risky. We did buy some furniture from a store yesterday that will be delivered in a couple of weeks.

Last night we enjoyed a delightful meal at J. Broussard's.  I should have brought my camera and taken pictures. I love the food pictures. Mr. Macho had a gorgeously huge pork chop. I had an organic chicken breast over angel hair pasta with parmesan, heirloom tomatoes and alfredo sauce. It was delish. We each order a dessert, ate half, then traded. Chocolate creme brulee and molten chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. The creme brulee was good. The molten cake and ice cream was better.

Before we went to bed last night we went outside to see if the meteor shower had started. It had. I saw one or two. I woke up around 1:30 and 3:30 and stepped outside both times to see meteors. I saw 3 or 4 each time I went out. It was pretty amazing. They look like shooting stars. It was magical, really. I am hoping that tonight we can drive somewhere that has no street lights and has a wider view of the sky. Bring a blanket and lay in the truck bed and watch the show. I think it is a pretty romanic thing to do on the eve of our 35th wedding anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment