Thursday, June 6, 2013

Circle of life.


Yesterday William West was welcomed into the world. He is my new great nephew. Sister, Mimi, is the new, and very proud, grandmother of West. It was a long 9 months, and a long day of labor. But. He was worth the wait. I kept up with the progress via text messages from Mimi. I kept my phone with me every minute yesterday. I would love to post his picture, but have not asked permission. And so. You will just have to imagine how beautiful he is. And he is beautiful. He is a fine, round boy baby. 
Mimi was standing just outside of the O.R. door when he was born by cesarean section sometime between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. She heard his cry before she ever got to see him. Waiting at the hospital for him to make his appearance were two sets of grandparents, one paternal aunt, and two cousins. Mimi was invited back to the nursery to see him shortly after he was born. She generously invited the other grandmother to go along with her. 
All I can say is love. It was love that was confirmed, with audio and visual realities, what Mimi had anticipated for those 9 long months. It was declared with the first reaction of his new Uncle Benjamin, upon seeing his first photograph, "I love him." Simple. Profound. Immediate. 
Love. 

Dear West, 
You have been born into a family that loves you beyond measure. Extend that love out to those of us who will watch you grow up from afar. 
All you need is love. And baby. You got it in aces. 
Sincerely,
Your Great Aunt Nanny Bee

*******
Yesterday at 2:15 p.m. our dear friend, Adrian (whom we called A.O.) Rogers passed peacefully from this world. It was expected. His daughter called to let me know soon after. I did not get the message until this morning when I saw my answering machine flashing. 
I am so very glad that I had the opportunity and visited with him briefly in the hospital on Monday. On that day he was still his sharp witted self. I told him I had just come from working at the soup kitchen. That was why I wasn't dressed up. And you know what he told me? He said, "If you wore better clothes, you might get a better job." It was so funny. Before I left him I held his hand tightly and prayed the Lord's Prayer with him. I kissed him on the top of his head and left all teary eyed. Those few minutes are precious to me.  
I have called A.O. 'the information man'. Because that is what he did. He collected information. He was full of it. He continued learning until the very last. Why just a few months ago he joined Toastmasters so he could improve his speaking ability. At the tender age of 85 he still felt the need to gather information. He was a consummate student of life. 
Many years ago he drove a motorcycle. He would come by our house to visit from time to time. Daughter remembers that he could blow smoke out his ears. 
Goodbye friend. I know you are among the angels now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment