Sunday, June 30, 2013

Thirty days hath September, April, JUNE, and November....

June has gone in the blink of an eye. It was so chock full of things to do. And now. The last day. Of the month.
Whataweek! I am going to confess and admit all kinds of things here. That is a warning for the weak of heart. Leave now if you don't want to know.

I am admitting to you that I need to be in control. Of everything. This week I had zero control. It felt like I had on beer goggles. No control. The train left the station and I had no control over who was on it, where it went, nor any amenities. The beer goggles kept me from getting any kind of good perspective on who I should be visiting with. My original intent was to provide a week with our children and grandchildren. Months ago a sister took the reins and called for a family gathering. That can be dangerous in a family the size of ours. It was like the bat signal was sent up and everyone felt like the hero for jumping in the fray. To me it felt willy-nilly. As the week wore on siblings and their offspring wanted to gather and visit some more. In the end it was fine but while it was happening I felt like I was on the rack being stretched in all directions. We didn't all stay in close proximity. Which made visiting an ordeal.
 I had an epiphany, of sorts. I realized, and now accept, that I do not function well in large family gatherings. It feels like I walk and talk in circles, like I have on beer goggles.

And yet. Amidst the chaos I loved being with my children and grandchildren. There were spectacular natural side shows = a) super moon b) dolphin sitings c) rainbow spotted from our balcony the last morning. Marsha's 60th birthday bash on Sunday ended up being pleasant. I got to see all my brothers and sisters, many nieces and nephews, a cousin, an aunt and uncle, and the odd assortment of extras. There were fun cousin moments during the week. There was good jambalaya and barbecue shrimp. Each family went off and did special family things on their own. I got to see my mother. We had a good family photo session. The horse flies that were so horrible at the beginning got better as the week wore on. We all enjoyed the pool.


Our first night included the Super Moon. It was, well, super. 

Connecting with cousins we love. 

Moonlight swim at the beach. 


Sisters and a cousin play in the sand. 

Sons showing off the coolest shirt in the world. Given as gifts by their sister. The shirt referenced a previous family beach vacation. It. Was. Hysterical. Best gift ever. Score. Advantage, Daughter. 

Sunrise is primo at the beach. 


We needed to do our photo op early in the week. Early on the horse flies were obnoxious, at best. To avoid amassing casualties we needed an alternative to the usual beach photo. On the coast is an old oak tree that goes by the name of Friendship. It is huge and has survived innumerable hurricanes. It was the right spot. Among the good snaps - there must be the silly snap. And. Here it is. 



And the not-so-silly shot.


Our parting gift was this spectacular rainbow. Perhaps a consolation prize for having to wear the beer googles. Of course you can't see it so well in the picture. Exactly. You had to be there. 

***
I am back in control. Things are quiet. I am taking off the beer goggles, replacing them with my rose colored glasses. The lines of last week will get all soft and mellow.  

 *****
We left from the beach in a hurry. Not the way I like. I like to say my goodbye to the sand and water's edge slowly. I like to wallow in the sadness of getting back to reality. But. We had a wedding to attend. Mr. Macho's nephew married his sweetheart last night. And a lovely wedding it was. The bride was stunning. I loved her dress. The flowers were perfect. The bridesmaids were all pretty wearing a blue that was nearly royal. The reception was a blast. We danced and the kids danced. Until we just had to go home and drop. 
The Groom and Bride looked so happy. 

***
Love. 
What else can I say? It is the summer of love. 





No comments:

Post a Comment