Sunday, May 24, 2015

Memorial weekend.

The weekend started with mellow adventure. 
Friday night we enjoyed beverages on the patio whilst Mr. Macho grilled a nice pork tenderloin. A simple salad accompanied the pork. And it was declared delish!
After the dishes were put away we settled in for a movie - "Selma". A rather serious start to our light weekend. But worth the watch, nonetheless. Deep thoughts were shared on the subject of racism after the viewing. What were people thinking? How could that have happened? Why does it continue? And I fell asleep examining myveryown conscience about my attitudes and practices. 

Saturday morning Mr. Macho headed over to his Dad's for yard duty. I had a good walk in the neighborhood. Then I swept porches. This old friend popped out when I move the folding chaise lounge on my patio. I think he is leftover from last year. Or it is the offspring. Anyhoo...I personally do like the tree variety of frogs. Too jumpy. At you. They jump at you. And stick on you. Give me a toad, any day. 

Saturday evening we ventured to the rural community of Tremont. Our good friends, Nina and Larry, were hosting a barbecue party. The weather was just right, and cooled as soon as the sun thought about sinking. There were pickers and politicians...

Pickers. (Nina with her back to the camera. Larry holding the guitar.)
Politicians. Trent Kelly is a candidate for the First Congressional District of Mississippi. 
He made a few very brief comments and shook lots of hands. Good sign. I hope he will work hard and do well for our state. If elected. 

When the bugs came out we headed home.
***
After a great grilled hamburger dinner today we made a Lowe's trip. Mr. Macho wanted a new ladder to help facilitate washing the eaves. Check. We picked up a few assorted items and came home. 


This is what I am sipping right now. Mimi was way ahead of me on this...but I have discovered that putting things in my water greatly enhances the drinkability of the H2O. Today it is cucumber and fresh basil out of my yard. 

And. Speaking of my yard...


I do have a few carrots in my tiny little bed. I have no idea if any carrots of any size will be harvested...but it's fun watching and waiting. 

Color me happy - my cotton seeds are sprouting. Yes. I have actually planted cotton. Just because I live in Mississippi. And. Just because I wanted to see if I could do it. I'll keep you updated. I am sure I will have to transplant them to bigger pots. 

We bought a few plants at Lowe's today. On the right is my mini rose bush that Out of Town Son and DIL gave me last year. There is also the pot of basil (a piece of which is in my glass right this minute). The plants purchased today are one foxglove and three caladium plants. Mr. Macho likes the caladiums. The foxglove just looked interesting. 
I won't put them in the ground until tomorrow after Mr. Macho chloroxes the house. 

Who knows what we will get into tomorrow. It is a holiday. Memorial Day. 
First. Give some serious thought about all the wonderful freedoms we have in this great country.
Then. Thank God for all the men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice defending us. 
We met a visitor at church this morning. He had on a WWII cap. And after chatting him up I found out that he just happened to be a high school classmate of my Uncle Menou. Larry Yarbrough. (He is from Pass Christian. Don't know if he has ever been to Dauphin Island.) WWII Vets are becoming a rare breed. 

"God bless America
Land that I love,
Stand beside her and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above..."
-Irving Berlin

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment