Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The day before the winter solstice.

Mr. Macho is on his break for the holidays. It is so nice to not have to get up quite so early. I like a slow wake up experience. My exercise regimen was adhered to and then he helped me make my belgian waffles - a great grandmother's recipe (she just happened to be from Belgium). We danced to the oldies in between batches.
The waffle has basic ingredients and is flavored with cinnamon and nutmeg. They are not eaten hot with syrup but rather like a teacake or cake-cookie. They are terrific with a cup of coffee. Our offspring have grown to love them. That is why I make them. I like them so much better because I share them.
For all the years my mom made the waffles she was pretty rigid about sticking to the original recipe that entails stirring a very stiff dough. Every year I confess that I have veered from the recipe only to find out that so did all my siblings. "Forgive me Mom, for I have veered. It has been one year since I made my last batch of waffles...." It is my observation that the younger the sibling the farther from the original recipe we take it. One brother uses chocolate milk instead of plain milk. He is known to have even tried chocolate chips in the recipe. One of my sisters uses olive oil instead of crisco, another uses less sugar but adds pear preserves...last year I tried commercial egg nog in lieu of milk. This year I opted for the olive oil and partial pear preserve combo. I also used Vanilla Almond Silk instead of milk. Number One Daughter is nursing the baby and there is a milk issue. So, during these holidays I have been attuned to how many products have milk in them. You don't appreciate it until you go through it. Salsa. Even salsa labels warn of milk content. Who would have guessed?
After lunch Macho Man went Christmas buying (he doesn't shop - he only goes when he is buying). He asked me for my list. I didn't provide one. He was on his own. I will be most happy with whatever random thing he puts under the tree.
I stayed home and made and froze two batches of sausage balls and one batch of chocolate peanut clusters. I wish you would come over and help me eat these things. Now. Before they're gone.
The weather is frightful, but my spirit is feeling pretty festive.
Tomorrow is the shortest day of the year. Do something fun. Dance around your Christmas tree. Do a small act of kindness. Sing at the top of your lungs. Make your story a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment