Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Rocking babies and funeral clothes.

Yesterday was all mixed up with emotions happy and sad. On my way to Number One Daughter's house I had the Christmas channel on the radio and got sad and nostalgic with all the sweet and sappy tunes. My intent was to hold and rock Super Carrot so Daughter could do some house chores. Super C likes her mommy. She likes her mommy to hold her. All. The. Time.
Super Carrot was okay until she realized that it was me and not mom holding her. Oh and then she cried. But I rocked on. And finally, after 3 rounds of all three verses I know of Silent Night, she gave it up. And slept through lunch. But I didn't put her down right away for fear of waking her. I needed to lay her down by stealth. And it worked. After and hour and a half of rocking. Whew.
While I rocked, and sang, and held her I had the sweetest feeling and it made me cry. Big ole tears rolling down my cheeks for the sweet feeling of her little body curled up to mine. The weight of her. Her breathing. My cheek touching her fine hair. I looove rocking the baby.
After lunch came the call from big sister's school. Tummy hurts. Head hurts. May be strept throat. So off we go. Strept test negative, but nastiness in the throat and red in the ears. Home for hot chocolate and antibiotics.
Then the call from Sister-in-law, Aunt Evelyn has passed away. My father-in-law's only remaining sibling. Everybody loves Aunt Evelyn. I do. My children do. She and father-in-law have the same silly sense of humor. They are fun to be around. Always laughing. Her children and grandchildren will miss their Mimi. We will miss her, too.
Our plans to attend the annual performance of the Messiah last night got way-laid. Mr. Macho just didn't feel like going. Son in the Middle called to see if he and Sweet Pea could come over for a visit. And so our evening was spent over some heated leftovers from the freezer and a new recipe for grapefruit and avacado salad. Sweet Pea ate some foodfromajar and acted like she was full....until we gave her a taste of green gumbo. Then she couldn't get enough. Oh yes, she loved it.
All of my funeral wear is rather dated. I sooo don't want to shop for somber clothes amongst all the cheery Christmas shoppers at our one store in town. So - I will ransack my closet to find something appropriate to wear to attend the graveside service for Aunt Evelyn in a few days. She leaves good feelings, happy thoughts and an extended family that loves her in her wake. God bless and keep you always Aunt Evelyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment