Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Smelling better.


Laura called last night with the generous offer of okra and more tomatoes. Of course. I said yes. Before I even exercised this morning I made my way to her house and accepted the said okra and tomatoes and more. Peas and peppers. We had a nice visit in her driveway and then I dropped the veggies off at home. Back to the gym for a quick, sweaty hour of my fitness routine.
When I got home I put the sheets in the dryer and got right to work. Washing. Cutting. Putting in the pot. Okra + tomatoes + onion + (bacon fat) (said in a whisper) + garlic + celery + fresh jalapenos = yummy deliciousness. It cooked very slowly for a couple of hours. Meanwhile I took the peas to the patio and spent those couple of hours shelling them. Blanched them. Put them in the freezer. Held out enough for supper.
 Made the bed with clean sheets. Folded the clean clothes. Put dirty towels in the washer.
Somewhere in there, before lunch, I caught Dad on Skype. First time I spoke with him since last Thursday. He didn't feel so good over the weekend. Mimi told me that. He was doing better today. Mom was full of talk about her sisters' and brothers' visit and her new bargain shoes. Energizer bunnies. Both of them.
I was glad when Mr. Macho got home. We sat on the back porch and drank cold beers. I felt greasy and dirty.
Supper was brought to us by Uncle Jay and Laura. We had okra and tomatoes, peas and squash. And corn bread, of course.
After a long day of caring for the wonderful fresh veggies from Uncle Jay's garden, I finally made it to the shower. Ahhh. I smell better. Now. Showers are truly a luxury.
I feel all relaxed now. The sofa is calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment