Friday, April 5, 2013

Where did I go right?

When did my Daughter catch up in age with me? I swear. I was just 34 last year. Ohmygosh. Wasn't she just wearing Underoos last month?

I was probably not the best role model for her. I was the stay at home mom. It was what I chose. I always wanted her to be able to choose what she wanted.

It is hard to choose the different path than what you are exposed to. My mom was a stay at home mom. I have six sisters.  We all went from being daughters to being wives. No interim. No in-between, find yourself, growing up time. Some of us made good choices. Sometimes I look back and think, "It was a crap shoot!" We were just darn lucky. I don't spend time thinking what I would have done different. That is so non-productive. I did have the chance and was employed for a dozen years. It was after Daughter graduated from high school. I worked during what I call "The College Years". From the time she started college until our third child had all the college he wanted. I decided fairly early in those twelve years that I was not "Super Woman" - nor did I want to be. Some things just get neglected when your hours in the day are spoken for. Fast food here, dusty cabinets there, an extra day before you change the towels and sheets... And life goes on.

Daughter has a very different path compared to mine. You can't compare. You just can't. She has challenges and obstacles that I never faced. She is a working mother. A HARD working mother. Of three. She is. She is a fine, good mother. She is my friend. She is my confidant. She is my counselor.
She is strong. She makes me laugh. Her sense of humor is dry and witty. Her moral compass is spot on. I always have doubted that women could have it all. But she is figuring out how to do just that.

Because of or in spite of her parents, she is succeeding at life.


She has yet to realize her greatness. One day. She will look back. And know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment