Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sometimes its hard.

Blogging. Sometimes I avoid the blog because what I am thinking and wanting to say is sad or difficult. Today is a prime example. But a fellow blogger, Glennon Doyle Melton, assures me that "we can do hard things". And so.
This message goes out to Daughter. You can do hard things. You have done hard things. You will continue to do hard things. And it will be awesome. Just remember. You are not alone. I am here. Others are there. We. Can. Do. All. Things. With faith and grace and gratitude. 

I am learning the language of learning disabilities. I know IEP, and ADHD, and NLD. I am adding information on Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) to my repertoire. I have learned about spatial relationships. I can tell you some of the differences between Aspergers and NLD. There is so much more to learn to be able to advocate for our Lauren. And Daughter is learning it. The hard way. One day at a time. One step forward. Two steps back. We long for the glimpse of progress. It will come. 

After a very hard PTO meeting last night I said to Daughter that I wish I had a magic wand. I would wave it and POOF! Teachers, doctors, and therapists would know just how to help Lauren. No. I would not chose to change Lauren. I love her just as she is. She is smart. She is lovely. She is funny. She is artistic. She is a delight. 

I feel sure most parents of children with special learning challenges, at some point, wish there was a road map or an expert that could point them in just the right direction. Oh? NLD? Go straight to Boardwalk and pick up your $200 when you pass "Go"! Or. Go to this clinic and they will make sure that YOUR child has the right diagnosis AND we will prescribe the perfect therapy/learning course of action. Dream on. 

There are meetings and appointments scheduled for Lauren this week. I hope the results will be positive and helpful for all the adults that have a hand in her education process. I hope it will be the beginning of that roadmap we so desperately need. 
I hope. 

***
Daughter, 
You are my heart. You are a hero. It rends my heart to watch your struggle. I am here.
Always,
Mom

" The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."
Robert Frost


No comments:

Post a Comment