Saturday, January 11, 2014

Little things are hard, too.

Yesterday I spent most of the morning being connected. Visiting with family on Skype is valuable to me. I was glad to see Mom more rested than on Thursday. She really looked tired that day. She blamed it on her trip to Walmart and having to walk the length of the store. She didn't even have to walk on her treadmill that day because of the shopping excursion. Walmart was exercise enough.

I found myself in the middle of the day with little motivation and no real plan. And so. I tackled some small tasks. I went through Christmas cards and sorted them. I realized that, for years, I have kept every single photograph and photo-card that anyone has sent to me. And why? I do love getting them. And keeping up with my friends' growing families. But. They pile up! More sorting. I separated family photos from friend photos. It was hard to throw away years of other peoples' children and families. But I did it. I even discovered an old photo of my Dad, grandfather, and uncle that I didn't know I had! I will share it with you here...



This was taken in the late 1920's. Uncle Dick, Grandpa Paul, and my Dad. 

In going through old cards and photos I rediscovered a card from a high school friend that lost her battle to cancer several years ago. I think I retained that one. It brings her back to me. It is good to clean and sort. It is hard to throw away small pieces of memorabilia. I have to do it, though, or my house will be filled with little pieces of paper to the ceiling! I say goodbye and ceremoniously drop them into the recycle bin. Parting is sweet sorrow. 

***
Today the sun is shining. It rained hard during the night. The temperature is up in the 50's. Mr. Macho and I are about to get out and walk. Son-in-Town has thrown down the gauntlet. A weight loss challenge. Bring it on. Go out and do something today. Move!!

No comments:

Post a Comment