Thursday, January 30, 2014

Back from Gilligan's Island.

What started out as a three hour tour.....
I had planned to spend three days taking care of Daughter's children. On the third day the Snowpocolypse occurred and I was stranded an additional two days waiting for the big thaw. It was all good as I got to spend more time with Lauren, Tucker, and the Super Carrot. And with Daughter. I felt liked I helped a little. With dishes. With the children. And. I got to read her library book, "Gone Girl". Oh you must read it. It is a good one.
I won't give a blow by blow on the exclamation point that was the snow event. Suffice it to say I am not learned (you must say it like "learn-ed" - I insist) in driving on the ice. I was going about my business Tuesday morning and was taken unawares by the fast stickiness of the snow. On the roads. Had to pick up Merritt at her preschool. The driving was slow. My knees were jellyfish by the time I reached her school. We saw three accidents before we got home. And nobody was driving more than 15 MPH. There was slipping and sliding happening. All over.
Daughter and Son-in-Law had gotten and earlier flight (thank heavens) and got to Birmingham - no problem. But. The drive home from the airport, usually a one hour drive, turned into 4.5 hours. And they were the lucky ones!!!!! I was so relieved when they pulled in the driveway. Just to know they were safe. That was it.
So many horror stories from the Snowpocolypse! Sister-in-law was not far from home but had to spend, not one, but two nights with a friend because ice, steep inclines, and abandoned cars prevented her getting there.
Out-of-Town Son had two accidents. One after skidding into the oncoming lane. And one when he stood on the side of the road while a police officer wrote up the report.
It. Was. Crazy.
I am glad to be home. Have already taken two Advil (sinuses were hurting), had a cup of green tea, unpacked, put two loads of laundry in the washer & dryer, got some soup out the freezer and into a pot, and poured myself a nice tall glass of Chardonnay. All is right with the world.
Good night.
Be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment