Saturday, June 7, 2014

Dear First Born.


Dear Audrey.
You were due the 24th of May. When that date approached Dad’s softball teammates took bets on when you would be born. The teachers at Millport Elementary, where I was student teaching, took bets on when you would be born. I was so big nobody thought I would go two weeks past the due date. But that is just what I did.
On Monday, June 5 Aunt Steph and Aunt Marsha couldn’t wait any longer and so drove up to Columbus to visit. They had been  trying to wait until you were born. I had a doctor’s appointment that very afternoon.
During the appointment Dr. Smith said that if I didn’t check into the hospital that night to come back in the morning and they would “give me some labor”. After the appointment I went by Aunt Paulette’s house to visit with all the sisters there. Jessica and Vivian were with Aunt Marsha. I am sure Pierre was with Aunt Steph. I really don’t remember which other children of hers were here.
Dad and I woke up Tuesday morning. We showered, finished packing my little suitcase, and drove to McDonald’s for an Egg McMuffin. We had the first doctor appointment of the day. Dr. Smith saw me and said that I might not be able to deliver. Something about my bones structure might be too narrow. (Hogwash.) And sent us to the hospital. He said he would be by later to check on me.
When we got admitted to the hospital they were so busy they had no available labor rooms. We were put into the hallway with a partition around us. Dr. Smith came over around 11:30 and had a ‘man to man’ talk with Dad about a possible C-Section. Dad came back and was as white as a sheet trying to tell me what Dr. Smith had said. At that point I was all “whatever”.
Finally a labor room opened up and they moved us in. I noticed I was having some contractions and we started to time them. They were about 5 minutes apart. We told the nurse. The nurse said great. They let me labor.
Late in the afternoon Aunt Steph came up to visit. I guess Aunt Marsha had the kids in the lobby because she came up later. We had not had any Lamaze classes so Aunt Marsha gave me some quick breathing techniques while she was there, as the contractions were starting to pick up in intensity. They had to go back to Aunt Paulette’s and feed the kids supper and settled for the night.
Around 7:30 Dr. Smith came in and broke my water. Contractions magnified exponentially. Shortly thereafter I got the epidural. It was so effective I could not feel my legs. I remember asking Daddy to pick my legs up. Then put them back down. Then pick them up again. I couldn’t move them. I guess I dozed a little, but not much. Around midnight Dr. Smith came to check me and after examining me said that you were posterior (face up instead of face down). He finally declared me fully dilated and ready. They took me into a delivery room with the stipulation that if he couldn’t turn you around I still might need to have that C-Section. Dad stood right outside the door. The got me all set up in the stirrups and told me to push. The nurse asked if I wanted a mirror and Dr. Smith said no I didn’t.  I pushed once. Then twice. Then Dr. Smith said don’t push any more. He got forceps and turned you. I heard a vacuum-like noise and remember thinking ‘what in the world is that!’ Later I realized that was Dr. Smith pulling you out.
You cried one small cry. I looked over and imprinted your face in my brain. I remember thinking what a round face you had. I was so tired. I worried that I wouldn’t know you the next morning. But I did. When I woke up and they brought you to me I knew you right away. As if I had known you all my life.
You were born on a Wednesday. June 7, 1978.
Love, Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment