Monday, June 9, 2014

Juneteenth. 2014.

The celebration arrived on Saturday. Out-of-Town-Son was the first to get here. Before lunch. Son-in-Town got here after lunch. Daughter rolled in after that. 

Fail. Once again. My children loved the fact that I frequently misspelled something on the homemade birthday cakes. I didn't notice this until just now - but there I go again! They will love this!

Once all were unpacked and had settled for a very few minutes we were off to the goat farm!

Four 97 cent loaves of bread went in a hurry. Hungry goats crowded the fence line and butted one another for bread advantage. Miniature horses queued up for their fair share. Several of us played ball with the blind dog. 

I think it was a hit. Everyone seemed to get into feeding the goats. 

After feeding the goats, Miss Ina showed us her pregnant donkeys, the Sicilian donkey, her geese, the goslings, the chicken sitting on a clutch of eggs (a clutch is 12 - but she said there were actually 13!), a banty rooster, and a squirrel named Jimmy Buffett. Lauren was brave enough to hold one of the chickens. 

Merritt and Lauren sweated and checked out all the critters. 

Lauren is a horse whisperer. She really likes petting the horses. She has grown quite brave about animals. I love the way the curls kiss her face in the photo. She will be eleven years old in a few days. 

More cousins arrived after we got back from the farm. It was most fun getting to know them a little better. 

Lyrics from a song come to mind...
"Cousins, cousins, here come the boys. 
Bedlam, mayhem, noise, noise, noise. 
Blow up the air mattresses! Hide the breakable toys! 
Cousins, cousins, here come the boys!"

After the extra cousins left birthday gifts were opened. Birth story letters were a part of the celebration. We always tell the stories. This time I put it in writing. Lest I forget in my later years. 

The chicken tetrazzini was just right. Best I ever made. Only a tiny bit left over. Cake and ice cream was good. We enjoyed playing games of Left-Right-Center. Lauren kept calling it "Gambling". It is a quick game that requires no thinking. And. Involves someone winning the pot. 
*
Sunday, after church, we gathered again for a meal of barbecue, chicken nuggets, and tater tots. Another hit and not much left over. All good. Slowly our children took their leave. And the house got quiet. Again. 

My brood. 
***
My back was in varying stages of cooperation over the weekend. Saturday, not so much. Sunday was much better. Today has been pretty good, too. I think I am healing. It is just going too slow to suit me. I am missing dancing. That makes me sad and angry. 
At least today I feel like I can get some things done around the house. I am feeling less invalid. 
*****
Be sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment