Monday, May 15, 2017

Living like a refugee.

And so it begins. While exercising at the YMCA Friday morning I finally got the call. From our contractor. He was kind enough to give me the heads up that demolition would begin this week. He thought we would like the weekend to get the cabinets cleaned out. We made two trips to Lowe's to buy the boxes and have most cabinets emptied. I kept opening cabinets to remember which ones I had already done. I had to come up with a system to indicate which cabinets were finished...and so have put a small piece of masking tape on the handles of the empty ones. 

I have snapped a few photos for posterity. I thought about doing a video like my mom did when she renovated her bathroom. The one where she bathed most of her babies. It was so sweet, sad, and totally emotional. I did bathe our youngest in that sink, along with some of the grand babies. I think we re-wallpapered the kitchen about the time Daughter got married...16 years maybe?
Change is good. This is an adventure. Mr. Macho has already had enough.
I have to admit, it is already interesting to have to leave the kitchen and open boxes to find the simple things...spices, vinegar, bread....if we can maintain a sense of humor during this process it will be most helpful. Maybe we can pretend we are fleeing out homeland. Or just camping out. For two months. (Hoping not that long, but trying to prepare myself.)

Out-of-Town son and his wife sent this beautiful arrangement to me for Mother's Day. It was accompanied by a funny message on the card forgiving me for forgetting to pick him and his brother and sister up from elementary school years and years ago. Because I was playing Tetris. I say it wasn't more than 10 minutes. They claim the teachers were offering to take them home, it was so late. The truth may lie somewhere in the middle. 
All the good things a mother does...and this is the story they choose to remember. And retell!
Ha! It is funny. Now. 


Saturday we attended Merritt's ballet recital. She was magnificent! She knew all the moves (or moobes, as she used to call them) and smiled so sweetly. All could tell she was having a good time. We loved watching you!

Snapped this selfie while in the lobby of the theater waiting to be seated for the recital. Yes. Lauren is really taller than me.

Post-ballet recital photo with the fam. I really like this one of Tucker. 

New statue was unveiled at Mass yesterday morning. It is quite large. And. Very white. Doesn't exactly match the chi in the church. It is an assault on the warm tones present. I hope we get used to it in time. 

Whilst cleaning out kitchen drawers I came across this old magnet. I don't think it needs any explanation. Only, it evokes memories of children's sounds and activities filling my space and my heart. 
And the love. Always the love. 

***
Little dilemmas will arise during this re-do process. Mr. Macho has already asked 'will I hang the apple back up'? A wooden apple with hooks that have held our keys for many, many years. Daughter painted it for us - in elementary? preschool? I'm not sure which. 
What to do? I will find a place of honor for the apple. 


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment