Friday, August 15, 2014

Get me off this roller coaster!

For the sake of updating my back progress...

The first epidural steroid shot is not what I had hoped. The miracle hasn't happened, yet. I believed it was helping last week because I was able to do more things than before. Like stand up a little straighter. Then Mr. Macho told me I wasn't really standing up straight. Honestly, I thought I was.

The pain was still there, though slightly less in its ferocity. I resumed physical therapy last Thursday, after the shot on Tuesday. The therapist was very gentle last week. This week she has been more intense, but not like before the shot. Before the shot I had to moan out loud to tolerate the manipulations of the therapist. It. Was. Rough.

On Wednesday two therapist tag-teamed and worked my right glute/side-back muscles AND the leg - concentrating on the knee region. I felt like that did some good. Thursday I felt better and walked 20 very slow minutes on the treadmill. I vacuumed the front den and bedrooms. I stood for a good while chopping vegetables for supper.

Today the therapist worked the glute/side-back. Then she put the electric shocker on the right side and turned up the volume. I felt pretty good afterward. I even went shopping for a little bit. This afternoon my right leg is aching. Haven't taking any pain meds since yesterday morning. I keep walking in and out of the kitchen trying to decide whether to take them. Or not. My mind plays this game = 'You are a weeny if you take them' vs 'This is ridiculous, you are hurting, take the damn meds'. I don't know which side will win.

All in all I am better than I was. I can get out of bed in the morning with much less trouble. I can endure longer periods of just standing. I am standing straighter. Maybe not all the way, but much improved. Pain is diminished. I can't really say what has helped the most. I tend to think it is the physical therapy. I can't rule out some possible good effects of the shot.

Next Tuesday I go in for the second shot.
Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment