Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sweet memories.

Aunt Eleanor passed away yesterday, June 4. It was the anniversary of her brother, Uncle Dick's, birthday. My Dad is the last surviving member of his immediate family. He was the oldest son.

Aunt Eleanor was the picture of Southern grace and charm. She was stylish and impeccably well groomed. She colored our world with good manners and manicured fingernails. She laughed at our antics and always, always invested her interest in what we had to say. Like our Granny (her mother) she would proclaim, "Mmmercy!" at our outrageous stories. She moved from an antebellum home to a small one after the death of her husband, Uncle Jimmy. Uncle Jimmy was the love of her life. She never remarried. Just like Granny. She maintained a plethora of good friends throughout her life.

I have to tell this one story. It is so typical of Aunt Eleanor....there was a glitch in Daughter's wedding planning and the bridesmaids' dresses she had selected fell through and could not be ordered. Daughter had to make an alternate choice. So she chose an inexpensive sheath dress that her bridesmaids could order from a catalog. Black dress. During a phone conversation with Aunt Eleanor I let slip the color of the dresses. And here is what she said. Pretty much verbatim: "Nancy. You don't mean it! I am so glad you told me. So I don't gasp when they walk down the aisle!" She delivered those lines in her best southern drawl. It was marvelous. One more time I would love to hear her say, "Oh mercy!" One more time I would like to sit in her tiny kitchen eating Wendy burgers and Frosties and share family gossip.  One more time I would like to feel her fingernails gently run up and down my forearm like she used to do almost absent minded. She is one of the treasures of my life. Thank you, Aunt Eleanor.

*******
With a heavy heart I present yesterday's construction update photos.

New front door. No paint, yet.

Bathroom vanity.

Ditto.

Bathroom closet door. 

Front door and crown molding. Door knob has not been installed, yet.
****
Got to run put out fires. 

No comments:

Post a Comment