Saturday, September 1, 2012

I am back.

What a week. This time last week my sisters were scrambling to remove my parents from the path of the storm named Isaac. Thought it would be Monday before a hurricane watch/warning would be issued. It was earlier. Arrived home from church Sunday morning and got the call that it was the day and the ambulance was due to arrive within the hour to load them up and move them out. I threw essentials into a suitcase and by 11:00 was well on my way to meet the ambulance at an assisted living facility in Ridgeland.
Mom and Dad arrived around 3:30 in the afternoon. My older brother and his sweet wife were there also to help get them settled and see to their needs. Bless them both. They brought Mom and Dad many items to help make their month long stay as comfortable as possible. Even went so far as loaning Dad a laptop computer so that he can continue to stay connected to us all via Skype. Skype lifts him up.
Monday and half of Tuesday we lost a little ground with Dad. He was exhausted, pale, and slept most all of that time. By Tuesday afternoon a little color came back to his face and he held his ground for the rest of the week.
I am throwing down the gauntlet and challenging all my siblings to spend a week caring for Mom and Dad. The idiosyncrasies of their lives are so varied I can not possibly recall and convey all the nuances of the job that is caring for them. They both need us. It took both the sitter and me to get things done. Mom is really beginning to need care, also.
I am ever thankful to older brother and wife for caring for me while I was caring for our parents. They both work but found time to drop by during the day to visit. And they provided me a bed and wonderful meals every night. Hugs and kisses and gratitude from me continue to flow their way.
For the next three weeks one sister will be with Mom and Dad to help distract them from the fact that they are not in their home and to care for them and make them as comfortable as possible.
To my siblings: if you do not take a turn, at some point, spending significant time and caring for Mom and Dad you are missing a valuable opportunity. A truly golden opportunity. It is difficult, sad, happy, sometimes wears your patience, but so filled with love that you should not pass up the chance to put your love in action. I feel blessed for having been there. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment