Sunday, September 16, 2012

Weddings and harvests.

Friday I went outside to retrieve my hummingbird feeders. They were bone dry and needed scrubbing and refilling. Got that done. While I was out I noticed the sweet potato vine that was growing out the planter had leaves turning yellow. Hmm. In late spring I had, on a whim, decided to just plant some sweet taters that were sprouting in my kitchen. Originally I had no intention of harvesting sweet taters but Friday I decided to dig in the dirt to see if any had actually grown. Look what I found!

Taters just out the ground.

Sweet taters all nice and washed. 

Growing in the planter encouraged the taters to grow with some curvy character. 

You will be glad to know that the taters are cut, oiled, salt and peppered and in the oven as I type. I love the sweet tater oven fries. 
I might try to repeat this next year since it was so rewarding to dig up these little boogers.
***
Last evening Mr. Macho and I attended the wedding of a friend's daughter. She is a lovely young lady that grew up in our neighborhood. Her wedding was a sweet ceremony followed by a fun reception. It was all very well done and not over done. Kudos to the bride's family for doing everything just right. It was the most fun I have had at a wedding and reception in a long time. Good food. Good dancing. Happy times. 
The happy couple will honeymoon in St. Lucia. One of my most favorite spots on the planet. 
****
Another happy bit of news. My parents are on their way home. Right now. This very minute! They were evacuated because of the storm named Isaac. They have been away from home for exactly three weeks. We cut their stay by one week. Yesterday Mom celebrated her 92 birthday. Paulette spent yesterday with them getting them packed and saw them off this morning. Mimi and Marsha will be there to welcome them home. New sitters have been hired that will give them around the clock care. Mimi has cooked up a storm and been grocery shopping, too. Their fridge and freezer are well stocked. 
*****
I confess that I splurged on the food at the reception last night. I have been on the Weight Watcher diet for almost two weeks. I have dropped a few pounds. Last night I treated myself to some of the creamy dips - but didn't eat any of the crostini or chips. I ate three sausage balls. I ate a rib. Yes. Only one. And I must say it was delish. Then I got a plate of fruits and veggies and munched. I had several bites of the wedding cake and the groom's cake then passed them to Mr. Macho to finish. But the worst thing I did was drink several glasses of wine. And it was all good.
I am back on the wagon today. Counting my points and making wise choices. And drinking lots of 
water. 
******
The next week should pass like a speeding bullet. I have my annual mammogram in the morning. This week I begin three mini-courses through the local college. Beginning Spanish, drawing and tai chi. Wednesday night I am a hostess at my bunko club. Merritt's first birthday is this week (the 21st) and we will drive over for her party next Sunday. 
Good times, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment