Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas glow.

May I say it has been a blessed and rewarding week of Christmas? Why, yes I may. And. I am saying just that. Mr. Macho and I drove down to Mom's on Christmas Eve. After attending vigil Mass we honored my brother's invitation to join his family for seafood gumbo. And it was good. The company. And the gumbo. I wish I had taken some snaps of the gumbo. Much discussion of gumbo was had with multiple siblings throughout the course of the week. Like the Belgian waffles, we all do our own variations of the gumbo. Most of us like our own gumbo the best. Having said that, I do enjoy the other gumbos. 
Anyway. Christmas morning dawned and the three of us - Mom, Mr. Macho, and I - awoke leisurely and enjoyed a breakfast of waffles, sausage balls, scrambled eggs, coffee and fruit. We had a few gifts to open and we so enjoyed watching Mom open her's. 

Sister from Virginia arranged for 10 shampoo and blow dries with Mom's barber. Very neat gift! 
Another sister sent a package with, at least, 12 wrapped presents. Mom opened one every day while we were there and planned to keep opening one a day until all were opened. It was fun. 

The Christmas lasagna was good. We had stopped at the grocery store on the way out of town to pick up the fresh ingredients. I love the way the salads looked - so Christmas-y!! It was yummy. Later in the afternoon we had coffee and almond coffee cake. 

The ruby slippers were one of the things we gave Mom. And she loved them! She showed them to every one that came over. She said she couldn't stop looking at her feet because they were so sparkly. The light will follow her wherever she goes!


It was so very good to be at the heart of my family during Christmas time. I loved being with Mom and seeing these two sisters and my brothers. It was a joy. 


Thursday Mr. Macho and I took a long walk on the street where I grew up. We walked the old properties and I captured this lovely beach sky. The weather was just right. No need for  jacket. And mostly sunny. 
Thursday night we enjoyed more gumbo and Dr. Brother's house. Friday we ate at a local fish place that wasn't anything to brag about. Don't think we will repeat that one. But Mr. Macho enjoyed some barbecue ribs that night. I don't want to think about food for a while. I am tired of eating. 
It started raining during the night last night. At Mom's house the rain made it sound like someone was hammering. It was so loud. After breakfast we loaded up and headed north. It was hard and sad to drive away with my little Mom waving from her garage until we were out of sight.  It was nasty rain all the way home. I wish we lived closer.

Totally worth it. The trip. Planning and transporting the meal. Changing tradition. Stretching Mr. Macho beyond his comfort. Sleeping on the uncomfortable mattress. All the little aggravations. It was all worth it. More than once Mom told me that we had made her Christmas. That was the pay off. That is the joy. 
Joy to the world. The Lord has come. Let every heart prepare him room. 
Merry Christmas. Love you, Mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment