Saturday, April 19, 2014

Let the sun shine in.

I was fine until I noticed the tiny dried flower on my kitchen windowsill. 

This morning dawned sunny. Good conversation and good moods have started the day. Mr. Macho dressed quickly and was out the house while I slowly took a shower and started to clean up the breakfast dishes. I should have known it - he was getting ready to go to his Dad's house. He has bought a new zero turn mower to "help" his Dad this summer. He was anxious to go play with his new toy. And then he was gone. 

I am cooking my ham for Easter dinner this morning. All I have to do tomorrow is heat it up. I cleared the breakfast dishes and was unwrapping the ham when I saw the small, shriveled, thing on the sill. Merritt picked one of the tiny yellow flowers that grow wild in my yard and presented it to me, "your flower", after she had picked one for herself. I made sure she knew I placed it on the windowsill, knowing that she would ask later, "where's your flower?" She doesn't forget. Anything.

She was visiting us here from Tuesday through Friday. Merritt is just a happy child. She is a joy. This morning I miss her chatter. "That's too silly" and "Silly Nanny" - if she said these once she said them a hundred times. I can hear her Dad saying the same thing to her every time she says it. She is old enough now that we can hop in the car and go places. And that is just what we did...

Walmart on Wednesday. New baby named Millie. She picked it out herownself. Here she is sporting the sunglass that Peyton usually wears. They stay in my car. Peyton and Merritt wear sunglasses longer than any other 2-3 year olds I know.

After nap Dora yogurt on the steps. Every day. 

Thursday we had several stops. The YMCA. The goat farm, where the goats seemed to say, "Me-e-e-e--rritt!" And a donkey heehawed as soon as we stepped out the car. We met a goose named Waddles. We fed the goats and donkeys a loaf of whole wheat bread. Ms Ina regaled us with goat stories. Most fun!!

We visited the park by the hospital. The private school kindergarteners were having an Easter Egg hunt party. They were wild! Running. And screaming. Merritt jumped right in. Running. And screaming. I kept telling her to watch out for the big kids. She only got knocked down one time. She dusted it off and kept going. She didn't want to leave. 

Blowing bubbles in the afternoons until we got dizzy. Oh. That was me. She blew them for a very long time. Then she started to pour out the stuff. That was quitting time. 

She discovered helicopter seeds. (Maple.) And was put out with the squirrel for eating them. We played run and chase in the front yard. She sat on a limb in a tree. Reluctantly at first. Then she asked to be put in the tree. This trip she let me wash her hair without screaming and crying. I had given her ample warning that I was going to wash it. She loved playing with bubbles in the tub and kept calling them snowflakes. 

This morning. No children. Ham is cooked. Mac and cheese are all put together and in the fridge. Banana pudding made. Check. 

For the first time in forever I did not buy the Paas Easter egg dye. Sacrilegious, almost. Even after our children were grown we dyed Easter eggs. Then there were grandchildren here to do it. Mr. Macho only ever got into it by coercion. The Easter bunny will not even stop at our house tonight. We don't want the candy. 

Tonight Mr. Macho and I will light a fire in the fire pit and roast some hot dogs for supper. We may dance around the fire and morn celebrate the passing of Lent and our traditions. 

Life is changing ever so slowly for us. We take on new roles with our parents. Children move away. Holidays become changed. It is inevitable. And we accept it. 
*****
Son-in-Town has accepted a new job and will be moving. I have not addressed the sad part. Maybe I will even bypass it. It is time for him to make a change. For the opportunity it presents, I am most happy for him. And for his sweet wife. 
***
Today is perfect Easter weather. 
Let the light of the Resurrection shine in your heart and throughout your life. 
Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. The first line killed me. Also, the no easter bunny. Just sad.

    ReplyDelete