Monday, April 7, 2014

The grind.

This from my fortune cookie on Thursday...
I consider this fair warning. I just might!!
*****

 Monday. Back to the old salt mine. With happy thoughts of a fine weekend.

Midday on Friday I drove over to Daughter's house. Yard sale weekend!! After months, nay, a year of planning it was finally here. Daughter had opted to hold on to the things that didn't make the cut in the move of 2012. So. Much. Stuff. She admitted to me Friday afternoon that she had a low-ball goal of $100 profit. The biggest task was to move the merchandise. Liquidate. Get rid of. Vamoose. See ya. To all the junque. And that we did. After I ran and picked up Lauren and Tucker from school - the early bird sale was on. Daughter had advertised via Craig's List and two area pages on Facebook. That and a couple of homemade 'yard sale' signs placed strategically were it. And it was on. Even in the drizzly rain customers arrived on cue. And. After a few big items sold, her low-ball goal was met. On Friday. That only meant that on Saturday it would all be gravy!!

Saturday dawned cold. And sunny. Yes!!! The odds were ever in our favor! The yard sale gods had smiled on us. 
The morning was fun. As with most yard sales, customers came in waves. Steady business, bargaining, reducing, taking less...all part of the art of the yard sale. And it was good. Our excitement grew as the driveway became less and less cluttered with detritus of young marriage, moves, and three children. For the most part, Lauren and Tucker cooperated and kept busy. Merritt, however, was very involved in the sale. In reverse. She tried, ever so valiantly, to save her baby toys from leaving the premises. 

The Divine Miss M. Sporting her mother's "paka paka" shoes. The yard sale fashionista! To say the least, it was amazing how long she wore these shoes. 

Striking the "please don't sell my giraffe" pose. 

At noon we closed down the business. With very few items left, we boxed and labeled. And cleaned up shop. Once Merritt had her lunch and went down for her nap it was time to do a little accounting. With each quarter counted Daughter's grin got bigger and bigger. I will only say it far exceeded either of our expectations! In the end it was well worth the trouble. 
***
Sunday arrived with the rain, again. Mr. Macho and I enjoyed a fast food breakfast with friends after Mass. We streamed a movie in the morning. I am loving my new Roku. I tried a new Pinterest recipe with some chicken thighs for supper. They were delish!! It was a honey and soy sauce marinade. 

*

And. It's Monday. First Monday of April, so I will work in the soup kitchen today. I have already assembled the macaroni and cheese casserole. 

I used a bag of elbow macaroni, 2 cups small curd cottage cheese, 1 cup no fat greek yogurt (it calls for sour cream but I substitute), 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar, 3 eggs, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoon onion powder, 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and some pepper. I will sprinkle smoked paprika on top before I bake this at 350 for 45 minutes. Oh. It is good. Guaranteed. 

Now. I am off to the gym. Dance class is cancelled for tonight. Our teacher is on vacay. So I will actually prepare a meal. For the two of us. I think it will be veggies and some sweet potato cornbread. 
***
This week holds all kinds of promise. 
Be sweet. 

*******
If you liked this post check out Daughter's blog...
"Garage sale tips that will rock your world."
at
http://www.theandyoneals.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment