Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Today. Life is good.

Happy April, evahbody!
Where to start?
1. The weather is ideal. Sunny. Cool mornings. Warm afternoons. Got out yesterday and pulled weeds. And enjoyed it.
2. Yesterday. Daughter and Son-in-Law had a conference concerning the outcome of the reassessment for Lauren. Let me sidetrack...Let's talk about alphabet. This is more than A,B, C, and D. Or, as Merritt would say = cd's. In the last few years I have added letters such as these to my conscious thoughts and conversations = ADHD, NLD, LD, APD...each one means something specific. And each has specific paths and outcomes....Back to the story, last year a psychologist diagnosed Lauren with ADHD and NLD (Nonverbal Learning Disorder) and prescribed medication. After careful thought, Daughter followed the doctor's instructions, with reservations. The pscyh. was a hot mess. He was not professional in his handling any of Lauren's case. So, in short order Daughter thought better of her own instincts and stopped the medication. She pursued a reassessment with the Sparks Clinic in Birmingham. Last fall the Clinic tested and diagnosed APD (Auditory Processing Disorder). More testing had to wait for a certain period of time to pass. It took a year, but yesterday the Clinic confirmed what Daughter had suspected. Lauren does not have ADHD. Nor does she have NLD. APD symptoms can mimic ADHD symptoms. But they are not the same. Different resources and learning techniques will be used to help Lauren succeed in her education goals. I am not even going to begin addressing IEP's...a bone of contention with Daughter. I will just say, thank goodness there is already one in place for Lauren. This new diagnosis feels lighter and hopeful. Today I am so grateful for the Sparks Clinic. I am so thankful for Daughter's tenacity. Thank you, God.
Je t'aime, Lauren!!
3. Today started with me on a rigid schedule. Morning babysitting. Lunch with friends. The afternoon will be spent being a docent at my friend's antebellum house for our town's Pilgrimage. Long story short, babysitting has been cancelled! That frees up my morning. And. Here I sit when I have a go-zillion things I should be doing.

Hope springs eternal. Keep that in mind.
Say your prayers. And. Be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment