Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Beginning of the end.


I think we are over the hump of the construction project. I am excited. Things are finally feeling better. Things are looking better. Yesterday the tile men got most of the tub surround tile installed. It was a bad day for the tile men. First of all they were tardy - maybe due to truck trouble. Upon arrival it was realized that they were lacking some board that needed to be put up before the tile could be installed. They worked late but had such a late start that they didn't accomplish as much as we all had hoped. 
Yesterday we got some fans and some lights. Not all. And. We got air conditioning in the back house. Life is definitely getting nicer. 

Fans in the new den.

Tuesday. Steps being constructed.

Soon there will be a door next to this fancy light. Out the laundry room.

Wednesday. First glimpse of new floor.

Floor guys doing their thing. 

What floor guys like to snack on.

Wednesday. One set of steps in nearly complete. 

On either end and in the middle of the top step are bricks that came from the house where I grew up. 890 Second Street was damaged beyond repair during The Storm. Months after it blew through I picked up three bricks that fell from the fire place of the house where I grew up. Now those bricks are a part of my home. 
Oh. Did I mention that we now have air conditioning? Yea. I know I did. Only it feels real good. 
Uncle Jay is putting up the Hardy board on the exterior today. We are still waiting on some doors to arrive. 
*****
Today for the first time I feel strongly that I want my house back. I do not mind the workers using our "facilities". In fact, I have started referring to our hall bath as "the boys bathroom". Like at school. I am not currently using it.(You know. The cootie factor.) I go in there every evening and police the area and make sure it is clean. Last night when I went in I realized that I had three bras hanging in there...and the workers had been using the bathroom all throughout the day. I was mortified. 

When I threw out the garbage this morning I stumbled upon one of the workers peeing behind the trash cans. I just kept whistling, dropped the trash in the can, and went on like I had seen nothing. He kept his back to me. So, I didn't see "any-thing". But I know he knows that I know he was peeing in the yard. My boys used to do that when they were little. I tried not to make it a big deal in my own mind. BUT. I was really embarrassed. I am ready to have my house back. I am laughing. But. I am ready to have my house back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment