Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Evening at Camp Reeves.

We are hunkered down between kitchen/bedroom/bathroom. Feels like a long camping trip. I just thought we were finished with the dust. In comes the power thingy to scrape up the thin set (glue) from the tile that Uncle Jay and Mr. Macho popped up. It isn't as easy as that - it doesn't just pop up. I simply don't know the right term for jerking it off the floor.
Anyways...Uncle Jay and Son in Town tag-teamed the thin set. It is mostly gone - by the back door.
S-i-T said he will come over tomorrow afternoon for some more fun and tackle the thin set by the front door.
The dust this time is not the fine dust of the sheet rock days. This dust is gritty. And dirty. And - once again - everywhere.
After eating supper Mr. Macho and I went on a murderous rampage and killed dozens. Of flies. They have invaded in biblical proportions. We're talking the plague here. Unfortunately we did not get them all. They are among my mortal enemies. I do not like the fly.

Uncle Jay jack-hammers the thin set.

Son-in-Town applies a little sweat equity. Thanks. 

New concrete pad. Pretty soon there will be a door that will open onto that pad. 

Side view of the soon-to-be screened porch. Thanks to Duke, our brick layer, it is looking pretty fabulous. 

Back view of porch.

The other side is a hot mess. 

Winston. The neighborhood cat with dual citizenship. He was ready to high tail it if I got any closer. Winston has a twin that is pretty friendly. Winston, on the other hand, is not. 

Side door off the new hall - complete with new concrete pad. Thanks Jed. He is our concrete man. 

The Shady Lounge. Concrete men, framers, roofers, sheet rockers, painters, and trusty side kicks frequent this lunch spot. As evidenced by the multitude of cigarette butts that litter the ground. 

Uncle Jay said he might be finished the inside by Friday. Hot diggity dog. 
*****

I am wishing you a peaceful Memorial Day. If I am not mistaken, one story has Memorial Day's origin here in my own town. After the Civil War some ladies decorated graves of both Union and Rebel soldiers alike in the cemetery. I think it was first called Decoration Day. 
I thankfully send a shout out to military personnel that work hard to do their duty. Past and present. Thank you from the center of my heart. 
I pause to remember all who have given the ultimate sacrifice. 
These snaps were taken in March, 2011. 
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Profound. 

Arlington Cemetery. The photograph does not do justice to the emotion this place invokes. 

Sister, Amanda, and I - doing homage to our Dad who served in the Army Air Corp in WWII and was stationed for a while on Okinawa. Thanks Dad. 
****

Peace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment