Thursday, August 29, 2013

Repost: Passing the day

Note: This is an email I sent to my Mother and sibs yesterday. Mom and Dad and two of my sibs had homes destroyed 8 years ago on the Mississippi Coast. Sorry the font is so large. It was so Mom could read it easily... 

I was all set to make this a productive day. I was going to wash baseboards and crochet. Really produce something. Then...
Bob called before Mike left for work (don't get excited). Kacie is NOT in labor. But that was the first question I asked. I forgot what he called about. But it wasn't labor. Sidetrack.
Okay. So then Mimi and I got caught up in the Skype. Thinking about Aunt Eleanor...her birthday being next week. Then we went on about Katrina. And I pulled out my old emails and read some just to remember the feel of it. The sheer panic of it. The sadness of it. 
While talking to her Audrey texted me...commemorating the day herownself. She saw something about Katrina on facebook. 
Hours behind, I drove to the Y. Called Audrey before I went in. She relayed a story about someone at the kid's karate lessons triggering a Pa moment for her. I told her that recently I had an intense Pa moment, too. I don't even remember what it was that made me think, "I need to call Dad and tell him about that." 
When I finally stepped into the Y the 'old man' club was sitting in the lobby taking names. They called me out for being so late. Then WE got to talking about hurricanes. I was regaling them with my storm stories. Captive audience. 
Finally got my work out done. But my day is shot to hell. So here I sit. Googling crap on the computer. Not one darn thing accomplished. Except we ate breakfast and I had my work out. Oh. And I turned on the sprinkler. 
How are you passing the day? Any remembrances you want to share? 
In reading the old Katrina emails I have to share this one from Tuesday, September 6, 2005....
From Nancy to Audrey @ 9:13 a.m.
"Aunt E. got power at about 9:00 last night Mike Brown delivered food/ice/birthday cake. No phones, yet. P.G. talks to them every other day or so and are fine...Uncle Dick wants to get a trailer. P.G. told him he would have to stand in FEMA line for hours...he said, I ain't standing in no damn line!!!" Typical Uncle Dick."

Gotta love it. Can't you just hear him?!

Steph - I hope you and Harry have a most excellent 50th anniversary!!! Love to all in Kentucky.
Paulette - Another good weigh in week. On the low side. Going to the Methodist Church for a shrimp boil to celebrate tonight. 

Hope the day is good to you all.
loveyalots, Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment