Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Swimming.

The pool felt like an ocean this morning. The sun was behind the clouds. There was a slight mist lifting from the water. The water was still. And warm. I was the only one in the water. I walked down the steps and spent just a few seconds at eye level with the water. It was nerve calming quiet. Then I began the swim. I didn't think I would have time to do my 25 laps. But. I complete them all. I got lost in the quiet and messed up my count again. It's okay. An extra lap here and there doesn't hurt. There are only a couple of weeks left for me to swim. Lifeguards must get back to school. Did I not mention lifeguards? Silly of me. YMCA rules are - there must be a lifeguard when anyone is in the pool. No "swimming at your own risk" for them. Every time I swim laps there is someone watching me. I forget they are there while I am swimming. On Wednesdays it feels like I am alone with the water. On Tuesdays I have a lap swim buddy. Always thank the lifeguard when I leave. It is an early hour for high school/college students to be up. And watching a middle age person swim. Boring, I would think.

The first lap and the 23rd lap I do the regular stroke up and back. Most laps I swim a regular (American crawl?) stroke up and the backstroke on my return. Every sixth lap I allow myself the breast stroke and return with an inverted breaststroke. It helps with the counting. And the breathing. Marks the progress. Sometimes I have to lie to myself to finish all 25. "This is the last lap"...and then "this is the last lap" and then...

I have never considered myself a strong or even a good swimmer. I love songs and poetry that say "just breath". That is what I try to tell myself in the pool. Just breath. At times I see how long I can hold my breath. Then I think,  "that is not the focus". Breath. Just breath. It is a good mantra. Just breath. Swimming or any other old thing that is a challenge. Just breath.  

Most of the time when I am swimming I think about which lap I am on. Or if my hands are cupped enough to propel me. Or how far it is to the end of the pool. Or if I should swim faster or just relax and enjoy the ride. Should I kick harder? Should I take a breath now or wait another two strokes? Today I got distracted thinking about sewing baby things and so totally lost my concentration that I was half way through the return of my 19th lap when I realized that I was doing the inverted breast stroke. As if someone were keeping score, I corrected it and finished the rest of the return lap with a regular backstroke.

On my backstroke I am trying to keep the water from splashing my eyes and watching for the 4 ft mark on the side of the pool. I know I only have 3 or 4 good strokes after the 4 ft mark. I have bumped my head hard when I was not paying attention. So. I watch. Out of the corner of my eye.

Before I know it this summer will be history. And I will wait and look forward to marking another summer with laps in the pool.
***

Last Saturday afternoon I cooked hobo stew. Ground meat with cut up veggies. This was originally cooked over a fire at Girl Scout camp. I just cook it on top of the stove. I had Merritt help with washing the carrots. She took a bite out of every carrot she washed. She liked them after they were cooked, too. Of course you remember soon after she was born her brother dubbed her "The Super Carrot". 
Merritt, Merritt. 
Super Carrot. 
Or simply, The Carrot. 

*****
Dirty floors are calling. 
Adios. 
Be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment