Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Who is family?

My friend, Ruby, called today. Her husband, Don, died on May 15 this year. It was not expected. She is spending an extended visit with a daughter in Washington. The state. Not DC. She is home sick. She still misses Don to the point of weeping when she speaks of him.
Ruby and Don have two children's families that live in our neighborhood. For a lot of years we have been included in their Christmas morning rounds. They always bring something like chocolate covered cherries, or giant plastic jars of cheese balls, or stuffed toys for our grandchildren.
Even though our Christmas will have a different flavor this year I will miss being here and welcoming Ruby and Don into our home on Christmas morning.
Ruby always remembers our birthdays and brings us a card. Always with a penny taped inside. For luck. I love Ruby. She is family.
***
I love it that my children feel a need to connect with me in tragedy. A young man (early 30's) died last night. In age, he was in between our sons. Both sons have been in touch today. I do not know the circumstances. It is tragic. No matter.
*****
On this 26th day in the month of Thanksgiving I am grateful for...

67. Family connections.
68. That Christmas feeling.
69. Mr. Macho pushing the grocery cart.

It's the small things. They make life fun.
Be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment