Monday, January 9, 2012

Twas a good weekend complete with a surprise birthday party for one of my girlfriends. Saturday I painted and crocheted (even though the rain did not materialize). Mr. Macho and I enjoyed a sandwich at the gas station/deli. Oh, it is so good. They have the best sandwiches in town. Don't laugh. We see hobnobs in there every time we go.
Saturday night "we" enjoyed watching the Saints win their football game. ("We" because I fell asleep for most of the second half. It's probably why they won. I will try to remember to fall asleep during the second half for every ensuing game this season.)
Sunday afternoon we drove across the county to help surprise my girlfriend. She lives in the Prairie. That's what we call the land on the other side of the river. It is low, flat land. Anyway, she and her husband built a new house and it is ohsocomfortable for having parties. Another dear friend has recently moved back into the area and she is the 'party planner girl'. It wasn't a big significant birthday but birthday girl kept whining about wanting a surprise party...and so we gave her one. And she was so totally surprised that it made the entire afternoon fun. Party planner girl talked non-stop and told hilarious stories and birthday girl laughed the afternoon away. We ate yummy party food and cake and drank a little wine. And some of the girls drank something called an Irish bomb? But they only had one Guinness to split 4 ways, so nobody was too damaged.
My weekend was tempered with thoughts of a friend that is loosing her battle with cancer. She has fought the good fight for years. She is surrounded by loving family. I have awakened in the night thinking about her. She is a lovely person. A treasure.
Then there was the "come to Jesus" meeting that some of my siblings had with my parents yesterday. It went well. Bullet points were covered. Mom was happy. Dad was emotional. It is time. And this is where my thoughts get jumbled. I think of Mom and Dad celebrating their 69th wedding anniversary on March 7 this year. I think of my dying friend and her husband. We are supposed to grow old together. There is a thread of a lesson here and I can't quite grab hold of it. Mom and Dad have struggled so to maintain their independence. My dying friend has planned her own funeral. What am I supposed to learn? Why am I equating these two stories? It is simple irony?
Today. Is cloudy. Was a good exercise day. And may I just say that renewing my driver's license online was easy and wonderful. Yep...one month late, but now I do not have to go wait in line at the DMV! Can I get an amen? Thank you very much.
My goodness I forgot to mention the BCS National Championship game!! Yes, we will come home early from our dance lessons to watch The Game. I am going out on a limb here but - RTR!

No comments:

Post a Comment